Monday, November 26, 2012

It's not about what you know, but what you do with what you know.

I have met many people on my journey in life that have claimed to have a knowledge of the Bible and Jesus Christ. Yet they do not bare the fruit of a Christian. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control" (Galatians 5:22-23 ESV), (John 15:16 ESV) or they claim that they do not need to follow all the doctrines of the Bible. Saying that you are well versed in the Bible or that you  "know" the Bible. But not applying it to your life is like saying you are an English major yet you continue to use ebonics and constantly make grammatical errors on essays just because you feel like it's not that important to use the knowledge you have learned. Or maybe there is a feeling of not knowing whether or not what you learned is the truth or not. Being confused is understandable in this world of humanistic philosophies, relativism , atheism, deism, and theism. But disregarding completely or only taking half of the truth and digging your heels in at that point is out of the question and a coward move.When I was learning multiplication and did not get an answer right I did not doubt the validity of the entire mathematics system, or deny the teachers correcting because of the plethora of possible answers at the side. How foolish would I have been to say " I don't know about this confusing multiplication and division. I will just stick with addition.and I will use addition in place of multiplication even though it will take me 10 times as long to reach my destination" I can not claim to be an expert in something when I refuse to practically apply that somethings methods when the opportunity arises. Why do you excuse sin and you are supposedly well versed in the Bible? Why do you constantly ignore fellowship with fellow believers? Why are you not bearing the fruit Jesus says that believers would bear ? When fellow believers and non-believers look at you they see a tree bearing as much fruit as a tree in the middle of winter. Now I need to say I did not start off writing this intending to bash people. But if we are believers we need to take a long hard look at whether or not we are truly representing Christ to the world and bearing the spiritual fruit Christ wants us to bear. Personally I can no longer excuse any sin in my life. C.H. Mackintosh said this regarding sin " We should at least seek to meditate more habitually upon His cross and passion...in this way reach a much deeper view of the awfulness of sin in the sight of God". And later C.H. Mackintosh says "How lightly, at times do we think of that which cost the Lord Jesus everything" I need to take a closer look at my sin. And if you claim to "know" the Bible yet are not bearing fruit and continue to excuse the sin in your life. You should "know" to do better! Plain and simple. It's not about what you know. It's all about what you do with what you know !

No comments:

Post a Comment